Wiki Billing for work release note

Kristene

Contributor
Best answers
We have a patient upset because we billed his insurance for him requesting a work release note to take care of his father. He feels we should bill his father's insurance. Does anyone have any reference they could share from cms in regards to this? I cannot find any information at all pertaining to this particular incident, but I am 99% certain that we would not bill his father's insurance since father was not even present for this visit and it was not a visit to discuss his father's plan of care (if father were present). Thank you

We don't bill insurances for work notes, FMLA paperwork, etc.

The father is not your patient (well, even if he is, that is irrelevant in this case). Services provided to the patient is billed to the patient's insurance. The son is the patient.

Now, if the father were your patient, and he said, I need my son to stay home and take care of me, we would sign the documents for the son, even though HE were not our patient. But we still wouldn't bill insurance.

Just curious what you billed to the insurance?? Typically, the physician caring for the father would fill out any FMLA paperwork for other family members. The family members are not receiving medical care and are not the patient, so we would never bill the family member's insurance.
FYI - there is a code for filling out forms - 99080 which I've never seen covered by any insurance. In my specific practice, we fill out the forms no charge. Many practices will use the 99080 for tracking and whoever is requesting the forms must pay the fee.