Wiki Billing Intrepretations

tylene1993

Best answers
I am in need of clarification. I have a cardiologist who read and dictated a report on 9/17 but did not sign it until 9/23. Which date would we use to bill for this intrepretation? Any help is greatly appreciated.:confused:

According to Medicare's billing rules, we have to bill the date the test was read/interpretated, as we are just billing physician charges. So do I use the date it was dictated or the date that he signed it?

Professional Component

From Novitas website...we are in Texas.

What is the appropriate date of service to use when a test has been interpreted?

The interpretation must be billed with the date the physician actually provided the interpretation. The date of the professional component billed to Medicare Part B, and the date in both the supporting medical records and on the report must be in agreement. However, the date of the interpretation does not have to agree with the date of the technical component.

Date Posted: 08/08/2007, Date Revised: 07/15/2013

Use the date he actually interpreted/dictated.

I agree, the date the test was read is the date that should be reported for the professional service. The technical service will be reported on the day the test was performed. They may not be the same.