Wiki Billing new code 99072

kathleeng

Guru
Best answers
Does anyone know whether 99072 requires the dictation to include the actual minutes spent for going over the required information? I know everything keeps saying that it's used to cover the time spent and cannot be used with any other time-based services, however it's not clear whether the time spent is actually required to be noted in the dictation. Also, has anyone tried billing this yet and/or had payment/denials for it? Any feedback is appreciated.

Hi, I just happened to be reading CPT Assistant Special Edition - September Update from AMA. It stated that "Documentation requirements may vary among third-party payers and insurers; therefore, they should be contacted to determine their specifications".
It sure doesn't help us a lot :unsure: My take is that no time requirement.
Hope this helps.

I billed 99072 to Aetna, BC and Medicare, but all claims has been denied, please advice me. Thank you.
-- Patient cames in for office visit, I billed E/M, and 99072, both CPT code have same Dx.
We use the dx U07.1 (COVID-19). We have only been reimbursed by Tricare, Aetna Medicare platinum plan, one Cigna Medicare plan, & BCBS TX. Hope this helps.