Wiki Billing new code 99072

Community Wiki

This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on AAPC for 30 days and have made 5 posts. Learn More
D
I am not sure about time spent documentation, but I did find this :
Documentation requirements for 99072 will vary among insurers, so be sure to check with your top payers for their specific policy. One thing that’s certain: Your documentation must include information that supports the requirements for 99072. Include a statement that notes “Due to COVID-19 …” and then document what steps you took or supplies you used.

kathleeng

Networker
Best answers
Does anyone know whether 99072 requires the dictation to include the actual minutes spent for going over the required information? I know everything keeps saying that it's used to cover the time spent and cannot be used with any other time-based services, however it's not clear whether the time spent is actually required to be noted in the dictation. Also, has anyone tried billing this yet and/or had payment/denials for it? Any feedback is appreciated.

Billing2

Contributor
Best answers
Hi, I just happened to be reading CPT Assistant Special Edition - September Update from AMA. It stated that "Documentation requirements may vary among third-party payers and insurers; therefore, they should be contacted to determine their specifications".
It sure doesn't help us a lot :unsure: My take is that no time requirement.
Hope this helps.