Wiki Billing #of Units for CPT 49020

rrrobinson05

Contributor
Best answers
Where can I find information on how to determine if CPT code 49020 can be billed for 2 units vs. 1 unit?

Op Note:
8 day old female. Pre/Post Op Dx: Abdominal intestinal perforation.
Procedure: Intra-peritoneal drain placement X 2.

Operative Details: (Name of baby) remained in the NICU for the procedure. She still had sedation active from her recent intubation. The area of the abdomen was then prepped and draped in the usual fashion. Two lower abdominal incisions were made and blunt dissection was used to enter the peritoneal cavity. A quarter inch penrose which had been split in half was passed into the abdomen and directed cranially along the lateral side walls. The left drain particularly had immediate egress of green material consistent with meconium. Normal saline was used to irritate through the drains and a copious amount of meconium was evacuated from the left sided drain. The drains were sutured in place with vicryl.

Any advice is appreciated.

Hi rrobinson05. Are you asking if this could be considered as a bilateral incision where the bilateral indicator would come into play. If so, I checked Professional Fee Schedule, and 49020 has a bilateral indicator of 0 which means the concept does not apply and you would bill 1 unit.

Hi rrobinson05. Are you asking if this could be considered as a bilateral incision where the bilateral indicator would come into play. If so, I checked Professional Fee Schedule, and 49020 has a bilateral indicator of 0 which means the concept does not apply and you would bill 1 unit.
francesbecote@yahoo.com: Thank you so much for taking the time to help with this. You answered my question and I can get my claim(s) out the door in regards to this subject. Have a great day.