Wiki Billing Question

jans04

Best answers
Is the billers signature required on box 31 of the CMS-1500? We have been asked to sign our name at the bottom of this box. I was under the impression that the physician name & credentials should suffice. Is it necessary to sign the form as well? Your input is greatly appreciated. Thank You:)

Most of our claims (primary and secondary) are filed electronically, however, we are not required to sign the CMS 1500 for those that are paper submission for ANY payer. Is this request by a specific payer? Have you altered the CMS 1500 in any way?

Julie, CPC

senior biller

We send hundreds of claims elect. every day and don't sign. I only sign
Medical claims if I send them on paper with attachments.

I file paper claims and it is my understanding that Box 31 needs to be filled in, either with SOF, the doctor's actual signature or a stamped signature, along with the date of the signature. On the rare occasion that I have not stamped the doctor's signature or dated the signature, I have had the claims returned. Medicaid requires the actual signature.

Thank you all for your input. Only one payer (in Texas) is requesting the signature. All the other carriers request Physician Credentials and date on box 31 (which is what we have been doing).