Wiki Billing RN services

tosullivan

Contributor
Best answers
we recently hired a RN to help our patients and parents with specific issues such as asthma, obesity and breastfeeding.
We are looking into billing for educational services such as asthma management in the future but as of right now she is helping new moms with breastfeeding issues (after the Dr sees the baby) and reviews ADD consultation paperwork with parents before the Dr sees the child.
My Dr says he is going to up code...is this the best way to bill for the RN's time? I know for certain billing 99211 is not something we're prepared for just yet.
Any help would be great!
Thanks Tina O'Sullivan CPC

You may never upcode a physican encounter level due to nursing time. If the training is done in a separate session from the physician encounter you can go to 98960 and some carriers do pay this code. But performed on the same day as a physician encounter there is really no way to code for nursing time spent.

Thank you Debra! We are talking about using 98960 and yes some insurances will cover her services. But since she is new we are just starting to discuss educational groups for asthma and obesity...but that's down the road.
I work in the office and can hear my Dr's pulling her in rooms to talk to new mommies and she will be performing step one in ADD evals. When my Dr said he was going to up code I shivered a little and wanted to make sure that was correct! but apparently not! thanks for your input!
Tina