Wiki Billing SNF discharge on a date after death

Best answers
Hi all,

Relatively new to this and looking for some clarification. Provider is billing a discharge for a pt who expired on a date prior to date of the encounter notes. Medicare denial is saying that the DOD precedes the DOS.

...Provider billed 99315 discharge on encounter for 3/12, but the patients actual DOD is listed 3/10. The the actual date of death (3/10) is documented in the notes and that is consistent with the DOD Medicare lists also.

Medicare says we can appeal the denial with the notes, but I’m not even confident that it should have been billed in the first place? The encounter date is listed as 3/12 and signed on the same date, so that’s where my confusion lies. Is there a window to submit claims for discharge after the patient expires?

I’m just trying to figure out how or if it can be resolved. We see a lot of SNF pt’s so I want to avoid a similar situation in the future.

TIA!

Thank you for this! I thought so. That was my confusion, how can it be an encounter if the patient has already died? It can’t. They cannot be billing for just doing up the paperwork.

I’m a newbie to the field, so I just wanted to be sure that I wasn’t missing something.