Wiki Billing SNF for ASC services.

CVelez

Networker
Best answers
CMS now has an edit in place that prevents payment to an ASC for services rendered to a patient in a SNF. One article I read stated we should bill the SNF, but I am really not sure. Does anyone have any info regarding this and how we would bill the SNF. Thanks in advance for any information.

Charla

I have been told that it depends on if the patient is in a "Medicare or Medicaid bed", if they are in a Medicare bed to bill the SNF and if they are in a Medicaid bed to bill Medicare. The person who verifies the insurance here calls the home to find out which bed the patient is in. Hope this helps.

I have billed the SNF directly and I got paid. I learned it the hard way:cool:...by medicare denial indicating that the SNF had to be billed directly.

We are having the same issue with one of our centers. MEdicare did take backs and we have billed the SNF. We are not getting much cooperation from the SNFs as far as payments go.

Consolidated Billing

We are having the same issue with one of our centers. MEdicare did take backs and we have billed the SNF. We are not getting much cooperation from the SNFs as far as payments go.

Here is a link to a Q&A on consolidated billing. The last answer includes a link to the CMS contact when you have a complaint about a SNF that is not paying. Having this information available might help you in getting your facility to pay.