Wiki BILLING STATEMENTS

Best answers
Hello all, can you please tell me if we can email billing statements to our patients without their permission or will that be an HIPPA Compliance issue?

Pet peeve of mine - it's HIPAA, not HIPPA. Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.
I do not see this being a potential HIPAA violation, unless the patient has already notified you that they do not want PHI sent via e-mail. A provider may disclose PHI as is necessary to obtain payment for services. It would certainly be good practice to have encrypted e-mail for a provider's office.
I personally would also suggest that if you are going to do this for patients in general, to include something in your new patient paperwork that the patient agrees to e-mail.

I agree, good advice above. If you take proper steps to secure the information, you will probably be OK. I would recommend that 1) you include this in your notice of privacy practices so that the patient is properly notified and is able to opt out if they choose to; and 2) you take steps to ensure that the email is encrypted and secure; and 3) you minimize the amount of PHI that is included on the statements.

If you have the option of a patient portal, I would consider emailing the patient a notification that they have an updated statement on the patient portal.

That's what my personal physician does - as a patient, I think I prefer that to them sending my statement as an attachment to the email.

I get an email stating that I have a new statement, then I log in to view it.