Wiki Billing Telephone Services

dbouton

Contributor
Best answers
Has anyone billed the telephone services codes 99441-99443 when a patient request the physician to call them regarding labs, questions about refills or medical questions? Patient stated they do not want to come in for a visit.

I code in a Pediatric office and we do not bill telephone calls for lab updates or refills as this is typically handled by a Registered Nurse. However, I do bill telephone services when my physicians discuss a matter with a parent over the phone concerning their kid. I have not had any problems with commerical insurances paying this. The reimbursement is less than an office visit or telemedicine visit, but it is reimbursable!

99441-99443 would be inappropriate if E/M wasn't assessed like during an office or telehealth visit. G2012 would be a better fit for a brief chat regarding questions about labs/results/medical issues.

Peace
@_*
As usual, time based codes require documentation of time spent and telemedicine codes require documentation of platform used, provider/patient location, and patient consent.