Billing two E/M on the same DOS for separate providers in the same office

hkost

New
Best answers
I'm looking for clarification on whether we can bill two E/M codes for the same DOS for two different providers who bill under the same tax ID. I have two different senarios - 1. a podiatrist sees the patient for his ankle and the orthopedist sees the patient for shoulder and 2. both docs are orthopedists but one sees for the back and one sees for a knee. Through my research, others have used the 25 modifier on one of the visits or no modifiers were used at all but one of the visits always has to be appealed for med nec. Is it correct coding to bill for two separate E/M when there are two separate conditions or diagnoses? Is there a way to bill it without getting denied? We have appealed in the past but keep getting denied as the docs are in the same office.
Thank you, Heather

we are able to bill if they're two different specialties...one will need a 25,27 and if a patient has medicare , it requires a G0 condition code. hope that helps.

Tax IDs for facilities only identify the facility itself. It's the NPIs that will likely back up your billing.