Wiki Billing well child visits with sick visits

khubler

Best answers
Does anyone in primary care pediatrics bill well child visits with sick visits at the same time? Do you have a problem getting paid for both? Do you have a problem with patients paying copays for the sick visit? I am hearing that BCBS pays a reduced well visit fee if submitted with sick visit codes, but I cannot find actual documentation. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Does anyone in primary care pediatrics bill well child visits with sick visits at the same time? Do you have a problem getting paid for both? Do you have a problem with patients paying copays for the sick visit? I am hearing that BCBS pays a reduced well visit fee if submitted with sick visit codes, but I cannot find actual documentation. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
You may bill a sick visit with a well child visit if there is a distinct, separately identifiable E/M service that requires additional work to perform the key elements of an E/M service. If it is a minor, insignificant problem that was addressed during the well child visit, it is not separately billable. The key here will be the Dx that is mapped to the sick visit and the medical management for that dx. Most payers will pay for both services if it is justified, but will make a reduced payment for the sick E/M. You need to add modifier 25 to the sick E/M, but a lot of payers need mod 25 on BOTH, the well-child visit and the sick visit. Per coding rules this is incorrect, but payers have their systems set up in a way that if you don't add mod 25 to both services, they get bundled. Providence does not pay for sick visits with well child checks, no matter what. BCBS does pay. Yes, there have been many instances when parents have called in to complain about copays with the sick visit because in their mind, they were coming in for a well child check and they just discussed issues during the well child check. This is why it is important to make sure the sick visit was truly justified and that there was a completely separate History, Exam and MDM that was done for the presenting problem. Also, ideally the provider needs to inform parents during the visit that if a separate issue is discussed and treated, there could be a copay for that part of the visit.

Last edited:
I have a question on billing a well child and problem focus the same day. Is there a rule that separate note has to be done? If so where can I find that info. I have a physician who is just dictating one note and my auditor is telling me he needs to have two separate notes. Could someone help me out with this please?

Just wanted to pop in and freshen this thread as our practice is currently have issues with billing additional visits at almost all the well checks. My first question, when a provider does something that falls within the scope of the well visit but then adds "Except well check, additional 20 minutes spent discussing XX" are we obligated to add the additional visit because time is notated. And secondly, as asked above, do they need to document in a separate note? TIA.