• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

biopsy Code

Trendale

Guru
Best answers
Hi,
I am not sure which BX code to use for the following coding scenario. Can someone help me with the following scenario?

Procedure-Biopsy of mass RT groin
The physician did an incisional biopsy. Dissection was carried down through the skin and subQ tissues. Scarpa fascia was divided.. A portion of the large mass was excised using sharp dissection. The sub Q tissues were approximated using interrupted sutures. The skin was closed using subcuticular suture.

The codes I was contemplating on using was 49180, but in the CDR description, it says no incision was necessay. In the OP report, he did a skin incision. The other code was 11100, there is no mention of an incision. (says surgically removes, may be done with a scapel)

Thanks!

Best answers
27040-41

I agree with RainyDaze ... 27040 or 27041 depending on depth.
Based on what you provided, the surgeon did go into the fascia, so I'd probably use 27041.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CPC-E/M