Wiki biopsy versus shave biopsy-help

sauls

Networker
Best answers
what is the correct for a shave biopsy or shave excision biopsy, not requiering closure.
I read on the "coding edge" april 08 edition that 11300 series is apropiate for biopsies not requiering closure but the Jan 09 edition shows the 11100 as the correct code for biosies with or with out closure shaved or punch.
please help me. thanks.

according to the cpt book....the 11300 series is correct for the shave biopsy not requiring suture closure....for 11100/11101 codes that's for biopsy for obtaining tissue for pathology during the course of procedures(not specified as shave biopsy)...HOPE THAT HELPS! :D

yes, shave biopsy is 113xx series.

before you use 11100, make sure there is not a more "anatomically" correct code to use and do not confuse this with the excision of lesion codes in "Integumentary Section".

I have just read these two articles, and for me who is new to Dermat coding it was really confusing. I think the AAPC should amend to this article and clarify things.

I sent an e-mail to the AAPC asking them to address this issue. I actually printed the article to show my physician's and now read a completly different one.

so i wrote to the AAPC editor who is researching the issue. He states this situation happened before and both article were correct. But they will keep me updated.