Wiki Bivent Pacemaker with only 2 active leads

Kwardlaw

New
Best answers
A patient is noted to have a Biventricular Pacemaker. I can see in the device analysis that the patient has 3 leads; atrial, right ventricular, left ventricular. The atrial is noted to be "off" and the right and left ventricular to be on. Would this change the cpt code? If the patient has 3 leads would I still code a 93281 or should it be coded as 93280 because one lead is not "on"?

I ask because the Interrogation report had Dual Chamber pacer listed as the device but also noted a Bivent pacer in the Impression. I would think that we would still bill for the Bivent but have no one to provide guidance in my place of work at this time.

Last edited:
Answer

After quite a bit of research on my own part and others above me it has been found that the CPT code is determined by the number of ACTIVE leads.

Ex. If a patient is stated to have a dual chamber pacemaker but in the device analysis it states that only one lead is ON or active you are to code for a single chamber pacemaker.

After quite a bit of research on my own part and others above me it has been found that the CPT code is determined by the number of ACTIVE leads.

Ex. If a patient is stated to have a dual chamber pacemaker but in the device analysis it states that only one lead is ON or active you are to code for a single chamber pacemaker.
\

This is how we charge for device interrogations in our clinic. Based on active leads.

HTH