Wiki Bladder Botox and billing for the lidocaine

almag69

Best answers
We do Botox injections in our office and the physician will instill the bladder with Lidocaine prior. We were advised that we could bill the 52287 and also 51700 for the anesthetic part. Reading further information it looks like the 51700 should be part of the Botox procedure, anyone else have experience with this. Thank you.

For Medicare patients, 53899 is the procedure code we were asked to use. Lidocaine would not be reimbursed separately, since it's incidental to the primary procedure.

Hope that helps!

The Lidocaine would be incidental to the Botox; I would not recommend using an unlisted code when there is an appropriate CPT code for Botox injections, 52287.

Thank you for your replies, my physician is looking for something on writing regarding this. is there something on the Medicare website that would tell me this?

The best reference I can give is: CPT surgery guidelines (page 62) in AMA CPT book, CPT Surgical Package Definition includes "Local infiltration, metacarpal/metatarsal/digital block or topical anesthesia"

In addition to the 52287 (which is specifically for the injection of chemodenervation agents), we bill L8606 which is the Botox itself (synthetic injectable buling agent).