• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We're introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

Bladder Cancer?

Best answers
What diagnosis code would you use in this situation...Pt had bladder bx/fulguration 3 months ago. The pathology came back as bladder cancer (TCC). Now, the pt has a NEW bladder tumor that was bx/fulgurated. The pathology for this particular tumor was benign. Do I use benign bladder tumor with a hx of bladder cancer or do I still code for bladder cancer?

Best answers
That is what I was doing. But the doc says they ALWAYS have bladder cancer & I do not agree with that statement. I tried explaining that even if the patient was diagnosed with bladder cancer 3 months ago, this particular tumor was in fact benign. It does not seem ethical to bill bladder cancer.

darlenemusser

Contributor
Best answers
I realize they still have bladder cancer but you are billing for the benign tumor biopsy? Not the fulgaration 3 months prior....I guess what I am saying is I totally agree with you. You could put the bladder cancer dx as a 2nd, 3rd or 4th dx since it is not related to this visit.