• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten the password it can be reset on our sign in section by entering your registered Email Address or Username here. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..

Blepharoplasty with modifier?

ridenut

Guest
Messages
62
Location
Daytona Beach, FL
I recently started working for a plastic surgeon and today was billing out a procedure where both eyes had a Blepharoplasty done. The suergon wants to bill 2 CPT codes but I think we should use one code with a modifier -50. I was told that the surgeon uses 2 codes because he has a higher reimbursement. The CPT book indicates to use the modifier - 50. Can someone help me and give me some talking points. thanks!!
 
Last edited:
I recently started working for a plastic surgeon and today was billing out a procedure where both eyes had a Blepharoplasty done. The suergon wants to bill 2 CPT codes but I think we should use one code with a modifier -50. I was told that the surgeon uses 2 codes because he has a higher reimbursement but my reaction was that he might be getting a higher paycheck but also commiting fraud. The CPT book indicates to use the modifier - 50. Can someone help me and give me some talking points. thanks!!
You can do either one. You can bill two lines using mod. -LT & -RT or one code using mod. -50. Check the insurance billing guidelines to see how they prefer it to be billed.
 
Top