Wiki Blindness Codies

How do we choose which Category to code if the eye doctor didn't specify which?

Hi Lily,

There are unqualified category codes in the H section of ICD 10. Look at H54.3 for example. There are codes for rt, lt, both eyes that are unqualified.

However I just realized you mentioned eye doctor. Before I used the unqualified codes I would query the provider. If he is unable to give an answer then I would use the above mentioned codes.

I hope this helps :)

Emily

How do we choose which Category to code if the eye doctor didn't specify which?

ICD-10 chapter-specific guidelines (from the 2018 ICD-10-CM Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting) for blindness are as follows - I think this covers your question?

If “blindness” or “low vision” of both eyes is documented but the visual impairment category is not documented, assign code H54.3, Unqualified visual loss, both eyes. If “blindness” or “low vision” in one eye is documented but the visual impairment category is not documented, assign a code from H54.6-, Unqualified visual loss, one eye. If “blindness” or “visual loss” is documented without any information about whether one or both eyes are affected, assign code H54.7, Unspecified visual loss.