Wiki blood sugar management via 99444

smros

Contributor
Best answers
Is anyone using this code?

Is anyone using it specifically for managing (ongoing) patient blood sugars? Patient records their readings and sends them in for physician review. Physician then makes adjustments to meds, if needed.

Does this sound like an appropriate use for code 99444 --Online evaluation and management service provided by a physician to an established patient not originating from a related E&M service provided within the previous 7 days, using the Internet or similar electronic communications network.

Thank you for any thoughts on this ...

I don't believe that 99444 is appropriate for this.

Please see the cms regulation on this link on page 4 & 5. It looks as this is a non-payable service. If this is done via email, there are a bunch of rules too. The email traffic has to be approved by the patient on paper and can not just be done without authorization.

https://www.cms.gov/transmittals/downloads/R1423CP.pdf

There is a code where info is send to the physician digitally, but this code is only covered once a year.

Hope this helps.
I would think the provider would rather bring in the patient to discuss the A/P rather than over the email. The attachment states the patient could be billed. The patients would probably not appreciate that.

Idk, I would prefer a face-to-face visit.

Take care,

Barbara