Wiki Bmi analysis coding

LindsayR

New
Best answers
I just started at an office where the physician was billing CPT 93720 (2011)/94726(2012) for body fat/composition testing. I advised the office that this is not a valid code for BMI and that there was no seperate code to bill to the insurance, that it was included in the office visit. The CPT was removed from the ticket and has not been billed in weeks; now the physician wants a house code set up to bill the patients a fee for the BMI. This code will not be billed to the insurance companies; but my question is : can we bill the patients for this? The test itself is maybe five minutes with the hand held meter.

Does anyone have any input on this or know where else to find guidelines? I have a notice from BCBS about not billing the BMI as well as some Forum info, but its all insurance related - I think I need something more solid for my Dr to show we should not bill the patients. Thanks to anyone who can help!

Lindsay, CPC

BMI Analysis

I am new to this type of coding, but there are HCPCS codes for BMI Analysis: G8417-G8420. Just make sure you are consistent with billing all patients and be prepared for non-covered under insurance. If MD wants to pass fee onto patients, there needs to be a disclosure in place.