Wiki BMI Obesity

taysin93

Contributor
Best answers
Is morbid obesity defined as BMI greater than 40 or having a BMI greater than 30 with obesity-related problems?
I always thought morbid obesity defined as BMI greater than 40 or having a BMI greater than 35 with obesity-related problems.
please advise, thanks

Attachments

• Coding-Obesity-and-Medical-Nutrition-Therapy-TableA-768x439.jpg
    Coding-Obesity-and-Medical-Nutrition-Therapy-TableA-768x439.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 9
Is morbid obesity defined as BMI greater than 40 or having a BMI greater than 30 with obesity-related problems?
I always thought morbid obesity defined as BMI greater than 40 or having a BMI greater than 35 with obesity-related problems.
please advise, thanks
There are differing medical opinions about what BMI or other criteria would constitute morbid obesity - it's really up to each provider to make the decision, based on their clinical assessment, as to whether or not the patient's condition qualifies as morbid obesity.

From a coding perspective, though, the BMI has no bearing on whether to code obesity or morbid obesity - the coder can only assign the obesity code that corresponds to what diagnosis the provider has documented. I'm not sure what is the source of the document you've attached above, but it would be incorrect coding to assign obesity codes based on BMI using that tool if it was not supported by what the provider had documented.

I would only code obesity of any kind if the provider is actually documenting the obesity. Keep in mind that adult BMI can't be coded by itself. I see many denials for this.