Breast Abscess drainage 19020 vs 10160

mmckibbin

Contributor
Best answers
We had a patient come in with a breast abscess. My provider inserted a few small needles and allowed the fluid to drain. We sent that as a culture to the lab so it's not a biopsy. I'm wondering which is the appropriate code to use. 10160 is puncture aspiration of abscess and 19020 is labeled as a mastotomy, can't use 19000 because it's not a cyst even though that best fits what we did.

I am not a breast coder, but 10160 does seem like the correct code. It does accurately describe what was done. IF there existed a more specific breast code for abscess, I would recommend that, but I was not able to locate one.
This is additional information on 10160:
The provider inserts a needle into a fluid deposit area on the skin and aspirates fluid or pus to obtain a culture.
Clinical Responsibility
The provider cleans and isolates the area on the skin and inserts a needle into the fluid deposit area. He then withdraws the fluid or pus through the needle aspiration device. The provider applies antibiotics and dressing. The provider may place a pressure dressing over the area.