Wiki Brochoscopy EBUS without Sampling

Sathishj

New
Best answers
Hello guys, I am little confused:confused:!! Please help me..

What should be coded in the case, If Bronchoscopy EBUS without sampling/biopsy/aspiration/lymph structures ?? (Diagnostic EBUS)
Should we code CPT 31652 or 31622??

If any guidelines behind this please let me know..

Thanks in advance:eek::eek:

Diagnostic EBUS

What is the indication for the EBUS?

There is an add-on code +31654 Bronchoscopy with transendoscopic endobronchial ultrasound (EBUS) during bronchoscopic diagnostic or therapeutic intervention(s) for peripheral lesion(s) (List separately in addition to code for primary procedure)

This can be coded with 31622 to indicate diagnostic exam with EBUS. The code description specifies "for peripheral lesion" though which is why I ask the indication for the procedure. Still, this code combination most closely resembles the procedure performed.

I have this same scenario every so often and have been unsure how to bill. I was told by our compliance auditor that it should be billed whether or not a specimen was taken. I have not been able to find any solid reference though and am hesitant to bill if no biopsy was taken. It is a specific part of the code description after all. Perhaps billing with a -52 modifier is the answer. Seems reasonable to me.

Erin E