Wiki Bullets

I'm trying to figure out if a code one of our Dr's is billing is correct. I was looking for help online and a page came up stating there has to be a certain number of bullets to be able to use a certain code. Does this make sense?

If the Dr. is billing an E/M code (99201-99245), then there are several components required of the documentation. If you read through the CMS E/M guidelines, you will find some help and guidance. There are other resources (some free) which will help explain E/M coding as well.

However, in order to bill an E/M code, documentation should contain: History, Examination and Medical Decision Making (MDM). Depending on the type of patient (New vs. Established), 2 or 3 of the previous components are absolutely required.

You stated you wanted to learn about "bullets" in E/M coding. I am assuming you are referring to the Examination portion? Otherwise you are asking for a complete explanation of E/M coding and billing, which is a much larger topic.

"Bullets" in the examination section of the E/M note is commonly referred to the individual exam elements of the Physical Exam. CMS actually does a pretty good job explaining them in the 1997 guidelines. The 1995 guidelines are a bit more vague, and you might get conflicting answers depending on who you ask. Read up on the Examination section of the CMS E/M guidelines, and you should find your answers.

If still confused, you can PM me.

Hope that helps!