Burr hole skull biopsy

gena379

Networker
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
My doctor did a single burr hole for skull biopsy. He is billing for 61500 but I don't think that's right, he didn't excise the tumor and didn't do a craniectomy. I know AANS recommends 61304 for brain biospy... so I was looking at 61250..? It has the same verbage as 61304 but it's burr hole instead of craniectomy... althought it wasn't brain biopsy..it was skull. Or mabye 61500-52? Unlisted code?

He also used stealth so then i thought 61751..but again, this is for brain, not skull biopsy.

I looked in 2000 codes but nothing fits either.
Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

My doctor did a single burr hole for skull biopsy. He is billing for 61500 but I don't think that's right, he didn't excise the tumor and didn't do a craniectomy. I know AANS recommends 61304 for brain biospy... so I was looking at 61250..? It has the same verbage as 61304 but it's burr hole instead of craniectomy... althought it wasn't brain biopsy..it was skull. Or mabye 61500-52? Unlisted code?

He also used stealth so then i thought 61751..but again, this is for brain, not skull biopsy.

I looked in 2000 codes but nothing fits either.
Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Did you look at 61140?

Yes, I've looked at all of those codes. But they are for biopsy of the brain and he did biopsy of the skull.