• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We're introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

buttock abscess

ggparker14

True Blue
Best answers
Can someone help me with CPT for this procedure? Is this buttock abscess the same as a pilondial cyst?

Note reads: the skin overlying the abscess was cleaned with Betadine x 3, anesthetized with 1% 3 cc xylocaine with epinephrine. The abscess was incised with a 15 blade and was productive of purulent fluid. Approximately 2 cc of ***** discharge was expressed from the abscess. A wound culture was done. The wound was then explored sterilely with a hemostat. Idoform gauze was used to pack the wound and for drainage. EPB was minimal. A dressing was applied.

thanks for any help.

DeeCPC

Guru
Best answers
Can someone help me with CPT for this procedure? Is this buttock abscess the same as a pilondial cyst?

Note reads: the skin overlying the abscess was cleaned with Betadine x 3, anesthetized with 1% 3 cc xylocaine with epinephrine. The abscess was incised with a 15 blade and was productive of purulent fluid. Approximately 2 cc of ***** discharge was expressed from the abscess. A wound culture was done. The wound was then explored sterilely with a hemostat. Idoform gauze was used to pack the wound and for drainage. EPB was minimal. A dressing was applied.

thanks for any help.
No, a buttock abcess is not necessarily a pilonidal cyst. The provider does not call the cyst a pilonidal cyst. They do not describe a typical pilonidal cyst. I think it is important to know what a pilonidal cyst is to know if it is possibly what was treated. A pilonidal cyst is usually at the tailbone and is filled with hair and skin debris.

keke74

Guru
Best answers
Hello, the documentation should state whether or not its a Pilonidal abscess or buttock abscess. Since the wound was packed with gauze, I would use 10061.

eadun2000

Expert
Best answers
Hello, the documentation should state whether or not its a Pilonidal abscess or buttock abscess. Since the wound was packed with gauze, I would use 10061.
absolutely agree. When an abscess is packed with gauze, it is complicated. Same as if you have multiple abscesses. The correct CPT code is 10061.

DCoburn

Contributor
Best answers
Buttock abscess

I also agree with KeKe 74. The documentation states "incision into the skin." Buttock is the skin location where the abscess is located. I also agree on the complication code 10061 due to the fact that the abscess was explored and packed.

DC