Wiki C/S delivery DOS for billing

rtrudel35

Contributor
Best answers
Is there any formal guidance/resources available for when a doctor starts a C-section before midnight but then the infant is technically delivered after midnight. I have always coded the DOS as the date the infant was delivered but I am getting pushback from one of my providers. I can't seem to find any concrete "evidence" to provide to them besides "that's what I have always done/was trained to do".

Novitas MAC (linked here) states this:

Services which transpire over to another calendar date​

This category could include multiple types of services. The service would be started on one day and concluded the following day. The service cannot be submitted to Medicare until completed. Unless otherwise notated, the billing entity can utilize either the date the service began or the following day when the service concluded.

This AAPC article states maternity should be billed with delivery date, but no official reference is given.

I personally would use the date of delivery. Honestly, I would simply and respectfully ask my provider if there's a reason it matters to them and take it from there.

Novitas MAC (linked here) states this:

Services which transpire over to another calendar date​

This category could include multiple types of services. The service would be started on one day and concluded the following day. The service cannot be submitted to Medicare until completed. Unless otherwise notated, the billing entity can utilize either the date the service began or the following day when the service concluded.

This AAPC article states maternity should be billed with delivery date, but no official reference is given.

I personally would use the date of delivery. Honestly, I would simply and respectfully ask my provider if there's a reason it matters to them and take it from there.
Thank you for those sources! I guess my manager is also concerned about the anesthesia charge having a different DOS from the C/S charge, but I have never run into a denial for this :🤷: