• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We're introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

C-section w/bowel repair

mkndevh@msn.com

Networker
Best answers
Good morning! Needing a little help. Patient went to OR for a C-section due to bowel obstruction. Can we bill for both the C-section and the bowel repair? Same incision. The C-section of course has a cap reimbursement amount. The bowel procedure added an hour and a half to the op session. Initially it was billed as separate procedures with a -79 on the bowel repair. (We have several payors that insist we use such modifiers as -78 & -79 even though they're not anesthesia appropriate modifiers.) We were paid for C-section, but denied for the bowel repair because of the modifier. I'm thinking higher proc should have been billed for the entire time, but with what modifier? Fellow coders suggested -22?!! There was also a TAP block done for post op pain. In my 2 years of coding anesthesia I have never seen this. Any ideas? TIA.

Last edited: