Wiki C44.119 question

Community Wiki

This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on AAPC for 30 days and have made 5 posts. Learn More
B
Code: C44.119
Basal cell carcinoma of skin of left eyelid, including canthus
Parent Code Notes: C44.1
Excludes1: connective tissue of eyelid (C49.0)
Parent Code Notes: C44
Excludes1: Kaposi's sarcoma of skin (C46.0)
malignant melanoma of skin (C43.-)
malignant neoplasm of skin of genital organs (C51-C52, C60.-, C63.2)
Merkel cell carcinoma (C4A.-)
Includes: malignant neoplasm of sebaceous glands
malignant neoplasm of sweat glands

Block Notes
Melanoma and other malignant neoplasms of skin (C43-C44)

Coding Guidelines
Neoplasms (C00-D49)
Note: Functional activity
All neoplasms are classified in this chapter, whether they are functionally active or not. An additional code from Chapter 4 may be used, to identify functional activity associated with any neoplasm.
Morphology [Histology]
Chapter 2 classifies neoplasms primarily by site (topography), with broad groupings for behavior, malignant, in situ, benign, etc. The Table of Neoplasms should be used to identify the correct topography code. In a few cases, such as for malignant melanoma and certain neuroendocrine tumors, the morphology (histologic type) is included in the category and codes.
Primary malignant neoplasms overlapping site boundaries
A primary malignant neoplasm that overlaps two or more contiguous (next to each other) sites should be classified to the subcategory/code .8 ('overlapping lesion'), unless the combination is specifically indexed elsewhere. For multiple neoplasms of the same site that are not contiguous, such as tumors in different quadrants of the same breast, codes for each site should be assigned.
Malignant neoplasm of ectopic tissue
Malignant neoplasms of ectopic tissue are to be coded to the site mentioned, e.g., ectopic pancreatic malignant neoplasms are coded to pancreas, unspecified (C25.9).
Best answers
Hello I have a question when our physician is doing surgery for excision of basal cell of the left eyelid the diagnosis we have been using is C44.119 which states Basal cell carcinoma of skin of left eyelid, including canthus. For this particular case he stated that he did remove the canthus. Could we still use the same code and if not what suggestions do you have?

Best answers
Hello I have a question when our physician is doing surgery for excision of basal cell of the left eyelid the diagnosis we have been using is C44.119 which states Basal cell carcinoma of skin of left eyelid, including canthus. For this particular case he stated that he did remove the canthus. Could we still use the same code and if not what suggestions do you have?

I may be interpreting your question incorrectly, but it seems as if you're coding based on what procedure was done, not on the actual diagnosis.

C44.119 indicates the patient has been diagnosed with "Basal cell carcinoma of skin of left eyelid, including canthus". CPT code XXXXX indicates the excision of a lesion.

In other words (specific to your case), the procedure code for a lesion excision does not describe a diagnosis; it describes the procedure that was done with regards to a medical problem or condition. Likewise, a diagnosis, C44.119, does not describe an excision procedure; it describes the medical condition that the patient has been diagnosed with.

A diagnosis code does, however, explain the medical necessity for the excision procedure.

If I'm wrong about what you're asking, please let me know.

Best answers
Basically we are looking for the correct diagnosis the patient has basal cell carcinoma of the left eyelid but the doctor states that the canthus was not affected. I do not think I worded the question very well before. We have been unable to find a code for the basal cell of the left eyelid that does not include the canthus. Not sure if it would even be different.