Wiki Calculating hydration times

rview2003

Best answers
We have a case where NS started at 0627 and ended at 0746; then NS started again at 0746 and stopped at 0950. During first NS run a drug was infused from 0654 and stopped at 0724. Then during the second NS run a drug was infused from 0753 and stopped at 0853.

Our question is are you able to add together the total minutes that only the NS was running from beginning to end to calculate hydration time i.e.
(0627 to 0654) be added to NS time inbetween drug infusions (0724 to 0753) and then also add the NS at the end of (0853 to 0950) to come up with 96361 x 2? Or does the time prior to the drugs infusing only count if it is more than 30 minutes before infusion begins and more than 30 minutes after infusion ends?

Any help would be greatly appreciated - thank you all in advance.

Donna

you have to ask.....was the NS run to facilitate drug infusion or was it given for hydration? It sounds to me, from what you have said that it was to facilitate drug delivery. In that case you do not bill for hydration.

I have to agree with the above. Just from the way it reads it looks as though the fluid was for drug infusion. To know if the NS was for hydration you look to see if the documentation supporst hydration as a therapeutic measure, in otherwords was the patient dehydrated. You must have some dx to link to the hydration to show therapeutic value. It looks to me on the second infusion that they just let the rest of the fluid infuse rather than just discontinuing it which is really very typical.