Wiki Calling the patients???

mitzfritz215

Best answers
When are you allowed to call the patients if they have a balance due? Are we able to do it right away? Do we have to send statements? I posted this before and didn't get an answer. I know someone out there works for a doctors office/hospital and must be calling for balances due. Please help !!!

The doctor I work for has patients that owe thousands and I want to start calling them to find out when they are going to pay for their visits.

Thanks to anyone who can help me with this.

Hope this helps you!

I work at a PCP's office and our receptionists call patients to inform them of their balances as soon as we know of them. That way they can pay at their next visit. OR our billing department sends them a bill after we confirm that they have NOT payed for their visit or services provided during the visit. Or the patients will even request that you send them a bill if they don't want to wait till their next visit to pay their dues.

I am in the process of calling on balances now. Our normal routine is to send three statements. When a balance is reassigned from the insurance we send out a statement right away, if not paid in a month we send a second statement & letter notifiying them of their past due balance, if still not paid we send the final notice statement. I try to make the calls between the second & third statements, if still no response or payment we then send the account to our collections agency. If the patient happens to have an appointment during this process the front desk will try to collect at the time of service. It's amazing how many people "forget" their wallet when they are going the the doctor.

patient balance

After the patients EOB comes we send statements out. If a second statement goes out (2 weeks) with no payment we call and ask if they have any question regarding the bill. And go from there. If no payments we send to a collection agency