Wiki can abscess and cellulitis be in same site?

GAcoder

Best answers
Patient is diagnosed with abscess and cellulitis in one site between breasts. Should both codes be coded or just abscess? Treated with antibiotic.
Thank you

L03.313 (cellulitis of chest wall) has an excludes note for N61 (abscess of breast) so you should not bill them together.

I know our software will flag claims if we bill codes with "excludes notes" together.

L03.313 (cellulitis of chest wall) has an excludes note for N61 (abscess of breast) so you should not bill them together.

I know our software will flag claims if we bill codes with "excludes notes" together.

I see an excludes2 which means you can code both if necessary

In ICD-10 CM there are two types of excludes notes. Exclude 1 means you cannot code these together, excludes 2 means it is not included here and if documentation supports both conditions, you just code both codes to indicate both conditions. Your software should not be editing out the excludes 2 conditions.

What should happen and what actually happens are usually two different things. I didn't write the program, I just have to work around it. :)