Wiki Can ED MD bill anasthesia codes in ED when performing using propofol?

kviolet

Networker
Best answers
Can ED MD bill anasthesia codes in ED when performing that procedure using propofol?

- oncology patient requiring bone marrow biopsy
- PICC line placement
- lumbar puncture
- neuro patient for MRI sedation

We have been billing for moderate sedation in ED not anasthesia codes
Thanks

Conscious Sedation

I would also use Conscious Sedation (Moderate Sedation) codes, not Anesthesia codes.

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

The anesthesia codes you want to use fall under the classification of MAC (Monitored Anesthesia Care) and therefore require an anesthesiologist or a crna. They would bill those codes, not the ED MD. The best the MD can do is concious sedation but you will have to document the presence of someone else in the room attending to the pts vitals.

Yes, Ed posted this on the Supercoder listserv. Between the turf war with anesthesia (look at the politics involved with trying to bill 93010 by the EDP) and the risk management and staffing issues for the facility, I'd be surprised to see it implemented. I would not consent to it in a chaotic ED.

Can ED MD bill anasthesia codes in ED when performing that procedure using propofol?

- oncology patient requiring bone marrow biopsy
- PICC line placement
- lumbar puncture
- neuro patient for MRI sedation

We have been billing for moderate sedation in ED not anasthesia codes
Thanks

We would charge Moderate Sedation when appropriate, and the procedure performed is not listed in Appendix G.