Wiki Can I shift to "swelling" code for specificity on edema?

lynnmcd

Contributor
Best answers
Hi there!

So, if the narrative states, "Extremities: 2+edema on the right, and 3+ on the left" do I need to stay with a single, unspecified edema code or can I better capture this using two codes under "swelling" coding the left first and then the right in order of severity?

Thanks so much for your input!

Lynn

it will depend on how it is documented. if the provider documented edema of the extremities you would use R60.0 for localized edema. When you look up swelling it still leads you to edema as an R60 code. What code were you looking at instead of R60.0?

it will depend on how it is documented. if the provider documented edema of the extremities you would use R60.0 for localized edema. When you look up swelling it still leads you to edema as an R60 code. What code were you looking at instead of R60.0?

Hi Debra...it is stated in the document as quoted. I wanted to use R22.32 and R22.31. :) But, the doctor actually used the term of "edema."

Hi Debra...it is stated in the document as quoted. I wanted to use R22.32 and R22.31. :) But, the doctor actually used the term of "edema."

No you wont be able to use those R codes. Edema is what is documented not mass or lump. There is also an excludes1 pointing you back to R60.-