Wiki Can someone please help me with these coding questions

melosine09

Best answers
I am practicing some coding questions before my exam and would like some help with an ICD-10 CM question and CPT questions. From what I remember, if there is a definitive diagnosis there is no need to code signs and symptoms, but in some questions, the answer includes signs and symptoms even though there is a diagnosis.

I am confused as to why fever is coded in this question, can someone please explain?

Patient with thyroid cancer has fever and found to have chemo drug induced agranulocyctosis

D72.0: Genetic anomalies of leukocytes
D70.1: Agranulocytosis secondary to cancer chemotherapy
C73: Malignant neoplasm of thyroid gland
R50.81: Fever presenting with conditions classified elsewhere
J34.81 Nasal mucositis (ulcerative
K92. 81: Gastrointestinal mucositis (ulcerative)
T36.91XA: Poisoning by unspecified systemic antibiotic, accidental (unintentional), initial encounter
T45.1X1A: Poisoning by antineoplastic and immunosuppressive drugs, accidental (unintentional), initial encounter

a) D72.0, T36.91XA, C73, R50.81
b) D70.1, T45.1X1A, C73
c) R50.81, J43. 81, K92.81
d)D70.1, T45.1X5A, C73, R50.81

Can someone please explain how to get these codes for this example?

Case 1 – Right transfemoral approach with the right vertebral, right common carotid artery, left common carotid artery, left vertebral arteries selected with normal arch anatomy.

Catheter codes: 36217, 36218, 36215-59, 36216-59

A 40-year old hospitalized patient is in need of a kidney transplant and is next on the transplant list. A man who matches the patient's tissue type and is an organ donor, is involved in an MVA and is pronounced brain dead upon arrival to the hospital. A nephrectomy is performed on the individual from the mVA. what is the correct code for the nephrectomy?

a) 50300
b) 50320
c) 50220
d) 50234

Why is the answer b?

Thanks so much for your help!

A 40-year old hospitalized patient is in need of a kidney transplant and is next on the transplant list. A man who matches the patient's tissue type and is an organ donor, is involved in an MVA and is pronounced brain dead upon arrival to the hospital. A nephrectomy is performed on the individual from the mVA. what is the correct code for the nephrectomy?

a) 50300
b) 50320
c) 50220
d) 50234

Why is the answer b?

Thanks so much for your help!

I would think because the donor has not passed yet. He is brain dead. The kidney was removed before the donor died. 50320 says "from living donor".

Dee (studying for CPC)