Wiki Can we bill E/M codes on every routine wound care visit?

mayra.zambrano

Contributor
Best answers
I work for a wound care clinic that happens to also offer Hyperbarics treatment to patient with non healing diabetics wound, cosmetic abdominoplasty, hypospadias etc. Now I would like to know if the provider is able to bill and E/M code on every routine wound care visit. For example, patient comes for wound debridement on the same wound that has once been evaluated in the past. I ran into an article that stated that if the patient is coming for routine wound care on the same wound that only the debridement is to billed. But if the patient shows up with a new wound or ulcer that codes 99211-99215 are able to billed along with the modifier 25 and the debridement.

If the components of an E&M service are not performed, it cannot be billed. If an E&M service is performed, but is an integral component of another service, it is usually not billed.

If the components of an E&M service are not performed, it cannot be billed. If an E&M service is performed, but is an integral component of another service, it is usually not billed.
So in cases where a follow up is performed to check the status of the wound, no care wound performed an E/M can be billed? for example a 99211-99212 because the complexity is low and it's more like a follow up correct?

Unless there are global days to something, the answer would be yes, you can bill an E&M if the components of the E&M are performed and documented.