Wiki Can we use the EHR internal messaging system to communicate HCC's with providers?

Best answers
Currently when we see patients- we have been adding a section into the template where providers can see the HCC's previously coded. This list is given to us by the insurance company. We ask that providers view and address the HCC conditions in this section at the time of the visit, and if they are appropriate diagnoses, we ask they document all conditions that coexist at the time of the visit. This is all done by template right now. It's a way to get the HCC's in front of the provider, while they are seeing the patient. This was much easier prior to COVID as the medical assistants were instructed to let the provider know there are HCC gaps to address. Now with TeleHealthVisits, many providers are doing these from home, many do not have their own MA and they are missing that notification. Our volume for HCC recapture is down significantly.

My question is, instead of using the template/note to communicate this, can we use the internal EHR messaging/task system to query the provider about these HCC conditions? If they address and document within this area, can I then transfer that documentation, into the encounter for the provider while they are still seeing the patient? In other words, can we use the internal messaging system provided by the EHR, to use copy and paste provider documentation for these conditions, for HCC coding purposes only? This messaging/task system is saved as part of the patients permanent record. This is the area where we would normally have “chart prep” or clinical questions, via task. Collecting all records or diagnostics prior to the patient apt time, so the provider is aware of what to address.

It would be easy for me to task the provider before the patients arrival with the HCC gap list, have the provider indicate what is appropriate following coding guidelines “MEAT”, I review the providers documentation, transfer into the note or query the provider back with questions. Not only can I confirm adequate documentation per coding guidelines, but I can confirm the code made it the claim. Many HCCs are considered life-long conditions and some of these are going to be easy for the provider to address prior to the patients apt, some will be sent back after the appointment. Thank you in advance.

Last edited: