Wiki Can you be reimbursed for dressings in dermatology?

Brandy0618

Guru
Best answers
Good afternoon. I have spent the last week looking for this answer to no avail.:cry: We have a provider (dermatologist) that wants to know if she can be reimbursed for dressings applied in the office setting? I have looked everywhere for an answer. With no luck. I have found some Medicare articles that state unless it is performed in an inpatient setting or wound care setting, it is not reimbursed. This patients diagnosis is due to gangrenosum on her leg. Our provider used Tefla non stick pads, waterproof tape and Kerlix roll. I have searched all over the dermatology forums here but I do not see that this has been addressed. I would be forever appreciative for any advice or counsel. Thank you. :):unsure::unsure:

Good afternoon. I have spent the last week looking for this answer to no avail.:cry: We have a provider (dermatologist) that wants to know if she can be reimbursed for dressings applied in the office setting? I have looked everywhere for an answer. With no luck. I have found some Medicare articles that state unless it is performed in an inpatient setting or wound care setting, it is not reimbursed. This patients diagnosis is due to gangrenosum on her leg. Our provider used Tefla non stick pads, waterproof tape and Kerlix roll. I have searched all over the dermatology forums here but I do not see that this has been addressed. I would be forever appreciative for any advice or counsel. Thank you. :):unsure::unsure:
Is the dressing change due to a previous procedure?

If you are within the global period for the procedure or repair, then no you can't bill for it.

However, my providers have had luck billing for the 99211 when outside the global period or when no global period exists.

If you are within the global period for the procedure or repair, then no you can't bill for it.

However, my providers have had luck billing for the 99211 when outside the global period or when no global period exists.
Can you tell me what diagnosis codes are recognized when filing dressings with 99211?

L97/“chronic ulcer”, or anything from chapter 19 “Injury, poisoning and certain other consequences of external causes” depending on what the notes say.