Wiki Can you help with inpatient order and then order to change to outpatient with an inpatient only procedure performed?

Best answers
Please forgive my simple question. I am still finding my footing in regards to facility coding.

I have the following situation:

*Patient is having an inpatient only procedure (total shoulder replacement)
*Inpatient order signed at 08:44
*Procedure is performed 11:21-15:12, at which time patient is taken to PACU
*Same provider signs an order that states "Change patient status to Outpatient" at 14:53 (and to be clear this was PRIOR to patient discharge which happened the following day, but after completion of the IP procedure)
*Facility proceeds to bill entire stay on an outpatient bill (patient was only in the hospital one overnight)

Was that second order changing the status from inpatient to outpatient valid? I thought the only valid order was the initial inpatient order, and to change the patient status a UR must be conducted?

Should this be billed as inpatient? Outpatient? Billed as inpatient up until order to change to outpatient and then everything after that order as outpatient? I don't believe condition code 44 procedure would be applicable here due to the IP-only procedure, correct?

Help please?