Wiki Can you use skype for Telehealth

Best answers
I work for a clinic that see patients with developmental disabilities. We have a patient that needs to come in for a 99214 to follow up on meds. The patient has been very agitated the last couple of visits. The nurse (CNS) wants to do a telehealth visit with the patient who is in a group home and the parents will come to the clinic. After all my reseach my question is can we use skype to telecomummit or is there a different app we need to use? Your answers are greatly appreciated.

Polly
:eek:

I called Medicare and talked to them and they say that the application that is used does not matter.

Thanks,
Polly

Hmmm I think that is incorrect. I read the guidelines for this briefly and I remember something in there regarding the equipment must be of HD quality and so forth. I know that the equipment requirements were so stringent that the providers I work with decided to not do it.

I agree with Debra. Skype is not HIPAA compliant and therefore does not qualify to be used for a billable service.

Laura, CPC, CPMA, CPC-I, CANPC, CEMC

Some of our staff just attended a conference in DC where it was said skype could be used for telehealth because it is considered secure (it requires a password to login)

To my knowledge, Skype is not HIPAA compliant because they do not sign Business Associate agreements with its users.

Chrissy