Wiki Cancer and Hepatitis Dx in patients with liver transplant.

Best answers
Hello,
Could you please tell me if I should code History of liver cancer, Hepatitis B in a patient who just received a liver transplant OR I should code these 2 conditions as they still exist? The MD who did a liver transplant is now managing immunosuppression for this patient. Prim DX is immunosuppressive therapy. The sick liver has been excised and replaced by a healthy one but did cancer and HBV become a History codes or still C22- liver cancer and B19- hepatitis? I attached 2 examples. Thank you very much for your help.

Attachments

• Example of IMMUNO with Cancer and HBV.pdf
    197.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Can someone please answer this question? Your help is greatly appreciated. Also, how can I submit this question (if unanswered) to AHA Coding Clinic? Thank you.

If the primary cancer of the liver has been excised and is no longer receiving treatment for that, then it's a history of code. I would query the physician about the hepatitis and whether this is considered active or not. The physician would need to state the current status of the hepatitis.

When you say the patient received a "liver transfer", do you mean transplant?

If so, the transplant status (Z94.4), should, probably be included.

ALSO, you say the primary dx is immunotherapy. NOT immunodeficiency?

Thank you so much for your responses! Yes, they are liver transplant patients that are receiving immunosuppressive therapy (which is billable during 90day global surgery) as E/M-24. MD does not say it's a history of cancer, does not say ' no more liver cancer' which leaves me wondering if it's a history code or it still exists. Same puzzle with hepatitis B- all existed prior liver transplant but let's say 2 days ago, pt had a new liver (transplant). Does it make a History of cancer, History of hepatitis? Thank you for giving me some light on these scenarios.