Wiki Candid Injection

scaddell

Contributor
Best answers
One of my providers read on through the AAD that you can bill the unspecified drug injection code J3490 for candid but candid as a specific code 86485 so I'm assuming I need to go with 86485 since its specific?

One of my providers read on through the AAD that you can bill the unspecified drug injection code J3490 for candid but candid as a specific code 86485 so I'm assuming I need to go with 86485 since its specific?

86485 is a lab code - you'd bill it when doing a skin test for candida.

It is not a drug or an injection code.

I am a little confused by your question.

per EncoderPro,
86485 - "skin test; candida
This test may be ordered as candida delayed hypersensitivity testing (DHT or DHR). The methods are the intradermal test and the prick test. Candida albicans is a common environmental yeast, and this testing is usually a control for immunocompetence or anergy. A standardized concentration of the yeast is introduced into the skin of the arm, usually by needle or skin prick. The test site is examined within 30 minutes and again at 24, 48, and 72-hour intervals. Evidence of a reaction is recorded."

this is a skin test and not an injected drug.

for an injection of candida, your provider is correct, you would use J3490 for the candida antigen and 11900 (11901 for more than 7 lesions) for the injection, itself.

"11900 - Injection, intralesional; up to and including 7 lesions
The physician uses a syringe to inject a pharmacologic agent underneath or into any diagnosed skin lesion. Steroids, anesthetics (excluding preoperative local anesthesia), or any non-chemotherapy pharmacological agent may be injected. Report 11900 for injection of seven or fewer lesions. Report 11901 when more than seven lesions are treated."