Wiki CAR-T cell infusion

aimeeread

New
Best answers
Hello,

I am now receiving direction that I should be billing for CAR-T cell infusions. Has anyone else ever seen these? If so, what code(s) did you use to bill for this procedure?

I have read everything I can on this trial...and the closest thing I can come up with is 36511 (apheresis for white blood cells). However, I'm thrown by the fact that apheresis indicates that the cells are being taken and re-administered in the same session, similar to dialysis. With the T cell infusion, the cells are harvested beforehand, sometimes in more than one session, and then "transfused" back in on a subsequent day after being put through a treatment process. I have tried indexing it as "immunotherapy", which is what this trial is classified as, and it brings you back to chemo. I have tried "infusion" and also "transfusion" and cannot come up with another more acceptable code.

38242 would work if it weren't for the fact that it is specified as allogenic. Since the patients own cells are being used, this isn't appropriate.

Any guidance is welcome. Thank you in advance!

Car T Cell

Hi there,
We are going through the same thing and are in the process of finding correct coding. The closest I can find is S2107 and 36511. We have been told though that it is not considered a transplant, but is immunotherapy. I am reaching out to another facility, that is doing it to see their feedback, and I will let you know what I hear back on this

Tina

Car-T cell infusion

Has anyone come up with a correct CPT for this? I am having same issue of finding Auto instead of Allo.

Thanks
Michelle B