Wiki Carrier of alpha-1 antitripsin in pregnancy

tag60

Guru
Best answers
Routine OB visit. Assessment/plan includes: Previous pregnancy with fetal anomalies and threatened abortion. Pt recently underwent expanded carrier screening that revealed carrier of alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency (recessive trait). Father of baby declines testing. Integrated screen negative. Pt declines amnio or further testing.

My research shows that AAT is a genetic disorder, so would the following coding be correct?

O35.2XX0 -- Maternal care for (suspected) hereditary disease in fetus, plus
Z14.8 - Genetic carrier of other disease

OB is new for me, so I'm still trying to build confidence in my coding of this specialty. (I think that "suspected" in the code description throws me a bit.)

Second question: Do I code the previous pregnancy history (TAB), perhaps O09.29X -- Supervision of pregnancy with other poor reproductive or obstetric history?

Thank you for taking a look at this. Any input appreciated!

finding on antenatal screening of mother

my code for this would be O28.5 as it is stated that Pt. recently underwent expanded carrier screening plus a Z14.8, O35.2XX0 could be coded but in this case there are no further evaluation done with the fetus so the Maternal care for (suspected) hereditary disease in fetus don't have any supporting documentation. You can use Z53.2- as an additional code.

as long as there are supporting documentation....

you could use the code O09.29-, Supervision of pregnancy with other poor reproductive or obstetric history, as it is stated that the pt. has previous pregnancy with fetal anomalies and threatened abortion. don't forget to use Z3A- as an additional diagnosis