Wiki cataract query

Jamie Dezenzo

True Blue
Best answers
scheduled as phacoemulsification w/ IOL

Op note:

LRI x1 and intracapsular cataract extraction with NO IOL

"The endonucleus was then grasped with a phacoemulsifier and with aspiration, this was removed. The zonules had completely loosened and the entire bag dislocated and removed in toto. No IOL was implanted"

66920 or 66930??? New for me....ASC

Thanks!

Re: Cataract query

I would use 66920 if the lens was dislocated intraoperatively. If it was already dislocated before the case began, use 66930. From the information given, there was no phacofragmentation performed. If the vitreous prolapsed, a partial anterior vitrectomy can be coded in addition. The Limbal Relaxing Incision is a non-covered service, and should be prepaid by the patient.
Debra, COT, OCS (currently training for CPC).

Last edited:
The OP quoted that the lens was grabbed with a phacoemulsifier and with aspiration.
You don't think the 66850 fits? The 66920 is for intracapsular cataracts and the 66930 is for a dislocated lens. This patient's whole bag just fell (I think). I don't have the OP's note on this page for reference as I'm typing.

In the final analysis, we would probably need the entire OP to make a definitive decision. In the documentation that was noted, the provider states it is an intracapsular procedure.

"LRI x1 and intracapsular cataract extraction with NO IOL"