Wiki Category III codes

dchenkin

Networker
Best answers
I need some clarification as to what happens when a category III code is accepted/implemented. I thought it would get a Category I code.

Specifically, I am interested in Cat III codes 0213T - 0218T.

The information I can find shows that these codes were released on 7/1/09, accepted on 1/1/10 and added to CPT in 2011. However, I cannot find out what the Category I codes nor can I find RVUs for these codes.

What I am looking for is information to show what the cost of doing this procedure (paravertebral injections with ultrasound guidance) is in relation to the Cat I codes, 64490-64495, which are paravertebral injections using fluoroscopic guidance.

These are still 0213T-0218T. When they become category I codes they will be deleted from the category III section and the numbers retired. There will then be a cross reference in the Catergory III section to the new numbers.

Hi Debra,

Ok, now I think I get it. Correct me if I am wrong, when the AMA says that a cat III code has been "accepted" it means that the AMA will classify it as a cat III code, not that it has been elevated to a Category I code.

It was the word "accepted" that was confusing me.

Thanks for the input.