Wiki Catheter insertion during post op period

KaylaRieken

True Blue
Best answers
Can we charge for catheter insertion (51702) or irrigating clots from bladder through catheter (51700) during a post op period?? The only reason the patient has the catheter in is because of the surgery in the first place and is still in retention or now has gross hematuria with clots.

Alright. So if a patient comes into the office to get a catheter exchanged due to retention because of the surgery while in post op, we can charge 51702.58? That's what we have always done, but I am just making sure that is correct.

I would consider this post-operative care and inclusive to the global surgical package unless it is being done in the OR. Per CMS, the global surgery payment includes "All additional medical or surgical services required of the surgeon during the post-operative period of the surgery because of complications, which do not require additional trips to the operating room."

I also don't believe modifier 58 would be supported here because this doesn't meet the definition of a 'staged' procedure, which is a procedure that is:
Planned prospectively or at the time of the original procedure
• More extensive than the original procedure
• For therapy following a diagnostic surgical procedure