Wiki Cauterization after circumcision

KaylaRieken

True Blue
Best answers
What code should I use for this? After examining the child, I did 1st attempt to control the bleeding with a silver nitrate stick but this was unsuccessful. Cautery pen was used to touch the area of bleeding in a pinpoint fashion which seem to stop and control the bleeding. Following this Vaseline, gauze, and coban wrap was placed around the phallus along with antibiotic ointment.

17250 was attempted but I am not sure what to use. 12001?

Bleeding? Why? Not clear here.

I doubt it, but was the bleeding to treat a lesion. If so 54065 would only apply. But if this is all that was done. CPT 17250 is the only code I'd use, CPT 12001 bundles into 17250. So I wouldn't code it.

If CPT 17250 was denied, it happens. It is what it is, CPT 17250 is what was done.

Was this in the office? I would think an E&M office visit code would be applicable. If it was immediately after the procedure, wouldn't it be bundled into the procedure?

That's a good point. My focus was on the procedure portion. But a E/M may come into play, depending on the documentation and the intent of the E/M. Like was this a schedule visit for the procedure and he happen to just check the child out. Then no E/M, but if it is distinct from the procedure. I'd code an E/M as well with Mod 25.

The patient was a post op circ that morning (or the day before) but wasn't done by us. He was referred to us. We seen him as a new patient in the office this day so there is an E/M visit plus he documented this also which happened in the office. I was unsure to code the 17250 because it didn't stop the bleeding and he had to use the cautery pen to stop it. There was no lesion.