Wiki CEMC Credential

TTcpc

Guru
Best answers
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone has heard if the CEMC credential will change to reflect the E/M changes going into effect in 2021? I’m interested in obtaining it; however I would like it based on the new guidelines versus the old.
Thank you

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone has heard if the CEMC credential will change to reflect the E/M changes going into effect in 2021? I’m interested in obtaining it; however I would like it based on the new guidelines versus the old.
Thank you

The credential will not change, but the exam may - you may want to contact AAPC directly toward the end of this year or early next year once the changes are finalized to see when and how this will be incorporated into the exams for this credential.

I'd just point out though that even with the changes, you will still need to know all of the E&M guidelines that are currently in effect because the new changes only apply to office E&M services - the 'old' guidelines will continue to apply to all E&M in other places of service, e.g. emergency room, inpatient, etc. So E&M will be all that much more difficult once the changes take place because we'll essentially have two systems we have to work with at the same time.

The credential will not change, but the exam may - you may want to contact AAPC directly toward the end of this year or early next year once the changes are finalized to see when and how this will be incorporated into the exams for this credential.

I'd just point out though that even with the changes, you will still need to know all of the E&M guidelines that are currently in effect because the new changes only apply to office E&M services - the 'old' guidelines will continue to apply to all E&M in other places of service, e.g. emergency room, inpatient, etc. So E&M will be all that much more difficult once the changes take place because we'll essentially have two systems we have to work with at the same time.
Hi Thomas, thank you!
I do probably 90% clinic (other 10% ASC pro-fee and hospital inpatient so that’s why I was wondering. I’ve been debating getting it but with my particular group and like you said they’re applying to office E/M, I was wondering if holding off might be best.